Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Snow day



Kiley doing homework by candlelight.

Keith fixing the power!!! Yeah for Keith!!!(he just saved us a ton of money!)







Playing Nertz by candlelight.







We got snow on October 28th. It started as a beautiful day. I love a snow day because life has to slow down. Well life really slowed down for us. About 4pm the power went out. Not a problem we have a gas stove and dinner was already started so that was good. I love candles so I lit all of my candles and we found the flashlights. We also have a woodstove and a fire was already burning so we were set. We played nertz by candlelight and the kids sang silly songs. A friend of ours lent us his generator so we got the power started again. Unfortunatley that is when things started to go wrong, or so we thought. The water would not pump out of the washing machine or the dishwasher so we thought we had 2 broken appliances. The next evening when we knew the power would be back on Keith went to turn ours on and the switch was broken. So Keith needed to put a new electric box in. Thank heavens that he knows how to do that. Things were getting a little tense around here for a while but Keith came to the rescue and used his fix-it skills and we now are all powered up!!!!




I now understand why the early settlers went to bed early and got up early, because there is just not too much to do when you do not have electricity! I have learned that I need more candles, matches and a few more lanterns. I also need to have extra batteries stored next to the flashlights. Oh, when we finally did get the power on we found out that the dishwasher and the washing machine worked. There must be a safety on them so that there is not a power surge or so that we do not use them if there is not enough power. Kiley and Danny are so happy that the dishwasher works because otherwise they are y dishwashers! I am so happy that the washing machine works because when you get used to having one in your own home it is hard to go with out! I am extremely grateful for modern technology and will try not to take it for granted. I am sure that I will be reminded every time the power goes out. Now we just have to save up for a generator!

2 comments:

NNA said...

Hi, I found your blog post through a search for “Nertz”. It is cool to see others that know about the game. I hope you don’t mind but I wanted to let you know about playnertz.com, the site for the National Nertz Association. There is a bunch of interesting Nertz information there and you can also find out how to play Nertz online there. I hope you will check it out. Feel free to join and also let your friends and family know. Thanks
- We have played Nertz by candlelight too when Ike hit Houston.

Rachel said...

I know what you mean about no power. We were only out of power for a couple of hours and I didn't know what to do with myself. I love electricity. I think that the next trip we take to NY your handyman will have to teach my wannabe handyman some skills:)